Thursday, February 11, 2010

Staying on Course

I hear a lot of talk in the church about recovering the apostolic church, about becoming an Acts 2 church or and Acts 8 church. Clearly the church has changed a lot since the book of Acts was written! Luke, Peter and others would be hard-pressed to recognize the current bride of Christ. I think Paul would send us a pretty harsh letter - maybe an email to be circulated through the faith community.

When I was younger, I used to think Paul needed to lighten up, but the truth is, we could use a few Pauls today. He knew it was critical to guard the integrity of the church. Even so soon after Christ's resurrection, he recognized it wouldn't take much to get us off course.

From boating with my husband, I have learned that I can be driving along, get distracted and fall off course just a few degrees which results in (besides me being yelled at) lost time to correct the course, higher fuel costs and if not corrected will ultimately land us in a different destination.

Same with the life and same with the church. Just a few degrees . . and, "Hey, how'd we get here?!!"

No comments: