Monday, September 22, 2008

MetroRedNexual

After viewing my wknd hunt camp pics on Facebook, my son, Matt, simply commented - rrreeedddd neeeecccck & I love it. I think he threw in the 'love it' part to make me feel better - like a slap, then a kiss. :) He's smart like that. Being from west TN, I buried the term redneck & have blamed all recent redneck activity on my husband who fully embraces it. Funny, he's actually a 2nd gen Italian from DE. However, someone in his family was involved in starting Punkin Chuckin up there - that's another blog!

So anyway, I began seriously considering my son's comment. I started my workweek in beautiful SE Georgia, coincidentally the home of my great great greats & where I spent my childhood summers. Later in the week I cleaned my Dale Earnhardt Rem 12 gauge, picked up some live shrimp for fishing, bought a cute camo tank top, talked my husband out of a new camo cap he'd bought for himself, watched a fishin' show, checked to see what was on the speed channel and spent hours 'trickin' out' & cleaning around our spider-infested hunt trailer so that I wouldn't be scared to spend the night there. Okay, so Matt's right, but there is nothing that beats the sound of the breeze thru the pines - and not another noise. I just love it in the fall - a fire burning, the smell of food cooking, no distractions. And the mornings! Oh they're so glorious as the woods come to life. Last fall, I remember spending hours uninterupted in scripture & with God and practically wrote a sermon on Psalm 119.

There are many theories about the term redneck one of which is related to my Scots-Irish fam who I have traced back to NC in 1690 - whoa! I suppose I will start enjoying my heritage but will still insist on using my iphone gps to find my way out of the woods. There are bears out there!

No comments: