Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Before We Go

It dawned on me this wknd that I have about a week left here. I have great memories of Daytona Beach. As kids, my dad would wake my brother & me at 4am & with our pillows we would pile into the car for the long ride south from middle TN. It's unheard of now, but we always went to church somewhere in GA and inevitably were asked to go home for lunch with strangers who loved the Lord. Life has sure changed! I loved the boardwalk at night, putt putt, the Drive-In Church and in particular staying at the Thunderbird (now Seaside). As a 6yr old I remember watching a car get carried out to sea by a high tide. I decided to drive there at lunchtime today. I haven't been there in years, but things are never as you remember them. I almost cried coming home. I think I just missed my mom & dad :).

Sunday, I visited the Drive-In Church, which oddly is more relevant than ever. The greeters are incredible, there's a fellowship hall to get coffee and have a little community, message, worship, communion, offering & out. All car windows are open, (smoking allowed) so you can pull right up next to someone if you really want community. They took a special offering for their sister Galveston Church as we drove out the exit, so I know they collected a lot since you couldn't get past them. The homeless, crippled & disenfranchised were serving with so much joy, I was ashamed to be sitting in the car! God has shown me so much since April & I'm thankful!

No comments: